I am an experienced clinical psychologist and improvement coach. Licensed by the College of Alberta Psychologists, I obtained my clinical psychology training in Northern Ireland and practiced in adult and youth mental health and primary care settings.
I have lived in Calgary since 1986.
My clinical experience includes adult and youth mental health, child and adult trauma and general health rehabilitation psychology.
I worked with Alberta Health Services for 27 years in a number of clinical and program leadership roles. These involved individual coaching, team effectiveness training and applying change management and quality improvement methodologies.
Either as a therapist, leader, coach or mentor, my primary intent is to support others to develop the self-awareness, healthy thoughts and beliefs, resiliency and skills to achieve their personal and professional goals.
Complementary Meet and Greet
Being comfortable with and having confidence in a therapist or coach, is important. I offer a phone or online, 20-minute, meet and greet which allows us to check-out if we have a "good fit". This is not a counselling session, just an opportunity for us to decide if we can work together.
I draw on techniques and strategies from a number of theoretical and practical approaches. These are tailored to the unique needs and goals of each client. They include Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT), Solution Focused Brief Therapy, mindfulness training, and coaching principles aligned with an improvement methodology to support a successful outcome.
Health and Lifestyle
Overcoming health challenges
- Coping with the emotional impact of injury or surgery
- Living well with serious health conditions (e.g., cancer, neurological, disability)
- Helping rehabilitation work for you
- Managing the challenges and losses of aging
Building resiliency for life
- Coping with stress and tension
- Learning how to manage, regulate powerful emotions like depression and anxiety
- Working through grief and loss
- Improving low self-esteem and confidence
- Improving self-control
- Coming to terms with traumatic experiences
Coaching for Success
- Making successful transitions into new roles, responsibilities, relationships
- Become a better parent, partner, friend
- Leadership and career development
- Developing new and better habits and making them stick
- Supporting successful growth and development
Fees and Other Stuff
My session fee is $200 which is payable at the conclusion of a session. This fee is in accord with the rate recommended by the Psychologists’ Association of Alberta.
A session is usually 60 minutes long and includes about 5 minutes of administrative activity. The fee is prorated for longer sessions and can be paid by cash, cheque, e-transfer, and debit or credit cards (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover).
The full fee is due if the client does not show up for the session or cancels with less than 24-hours notice.
I do not direct bill health insurance companies. I will provide you with a receipt and any other information you need to submit a claim to your plan.
I also offer online "telepsychology" sessions to Alberta residents by mutual agreement, when appropriate. This can be very effective in a variety of circumstances. Fees are the same as face-to-face sessions.